Move to music
You will need
You can also
- Use props such as dolls, ribbons or scarves
- Experiment with different types of music: fast or slow, quiet or loud, hard or soft, rap, rock, ballads, classical, music without words.
- Use music from your own culture like lullabies.
- Use set dance moves such as ‘ring-a-roses’, ‘row your boat’, the haka, or make up your own.
- Organise a dance party for your child, with friends or just with your child.
Did you know:
Moving to music is a great way to teach children about keeping fit and healthy.
What your child is learning:
- Balance, coordination and rhythm
- What their bodies can do as they move in space
- To express themselves through movement and dance
- To improvise, create and recreate
- That dance and movement to music can be fun, delightful, comforting and exciting
- That moving to music can be a shared experience